Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thai Herbal Steam Sauna


Though I do go on about the food (a girl has to eat), I first came to the Kingdom to study Traditional Thai Medicine. As the Buddha's devoted followers made their way here more than 2500 years ago, they brought with them the Buddha's teachings, the Pali language, and their traditional healing practices. From these origins, Thai medicine took root. It is comprised of three branches; massage, herbal medicine, and spirit healing (a dense and fascinating topic... for another day).

I practice Thai massage, which is now to me not so exotic, but each time I return to Thailand I luxuriate in Thai herbal therapies. Knowledgable use of Thai herbs is deeply engrained in the Thai diet, in the preparation of traditional body products, and in the practice of massage and medicine.

When I was pregnant here it was common for women and men to stop my then-husband on the street and offer dietary advice for me and my big belly. And, when I was just home from the hospital, my dear friend Jomsi came on her motorbike for three days in a row with some of the weirdest dishes I'd ever eaten, all to support lactation. I ate fishy banana blossom curries quite happily, while my sister-in-law prepared warm buckets of herbal tea for me to pour over myself in the shower. And, I drank a cleansing hot tea that had me sweating from the pores on the back of my hands. It went on for three weeks, and I hated to see it all come to an end. I've never been so taken care of in my life.


One of the most accessible and loveliest experiences of Thai herbs can be had for the equivalent of about $4.00 U.S. It's an herbal steam sauna.


Because it is Thai, it is generally not posh (though you can find that if you need to spend top dollar). And, given the lack of building codes and safety standards, if you want a sauna, you just go ahead and build it. This is the one I've been frequenting. Its simple, but it's hot and deeply fragrant.

Thai people do not sauna like Europeans. You will never find a cold plunge here. Thai people are allergic to cold. Even my very Western pharmacist advised me recently against any cold liquids while fighting off a head cold. While the American in me would rather roll my eyes, I always submit to advice about food and temperature here. It got me through a pregnancy and natural birth with ease.


A Thai sauna begins with a shower (again, not posh), then you wrap yourself up in a bathing sarong (heavens, you thought you'd be naked! no way). Off in your rubber flip-flops to your little, private sauna room.


After a few minutes when your pores have opened, you gently massage the herbal scrub into your skin. The exfoliation supports absorption of the herbal essence in the steam. After fifteen minutes of herb infused steam and a good sweat, you go for a warm rinse and a glass of hot tea. When you have cooled a bit, in you go for your second round. Thai people refrain from showering off the lovely herbal scent which penetrates your skin and hair. Again, no cold drinks and no bathing for two hours to allow the herbs to do their work.

If you ask me, one Thai massage, one Thai foot reflexology, and one herbal steam sauna every couple of weeks, and we'd all live to be 110.

No comments: