Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More Stuff on a Stick


One of my most favorite meals in Northern Thailand is one we can easily replicate at home. Grilled sausages, slices of fresh ginger, fresh hot chilis, raw cabbage and slices of cold cucumber. Of course, eating it here means jabbing it all with a bamboo stick from a little plastic bag, as it is one of the loveliest street foods.

Northern Thai sausages are a blend of pork, spices and sticky rice. They are a bit more chewy and less meaty than a New York sausage, but that recommends them.

And, the chilis range from hot to downright incendiary. If you get "mouse dropping" chilis, watch out. These are tiny and hotter than hot. I had them a week ago, and given my long absense from Thailand, chomped them down without hesitation. Coughing fit. Tears. Smiles. It was great.

If you come to the house this summer for a barbecue, expect sticks and sausages... but, I'll give you a plate. I promise. (No worries. I've never seen "mouse dropping" chilis in the U.S.).

No comments: