Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving Thoughts

This being Thanksgiving (where you are, anyway), I am reminded of home, good food, and the many people who've served it up to me over the years. It seems an appropriate occasion to share a family recipe. (The baby is just eye candy.)



When I was growing up, Mom was more or less disinterested in cooking, shall we say. She will vehemently deny this today (and if she figures out how the "comment" button works, you may hear from her directly). The happy result of her culinary apathy, however is three children with real interest in food. Each of us could whip up something in the kitchen at a pretty tender age. My brother Pete can even recall specific dishes of mine, like the fried liver with lemon juice I offered up at age 10. (Hey, sometimes you just gotta work with what's available.)

We grew, we learned (from horrid mistakes), and we later became cooks who could feed multitudes from our various kitchens, grills, and smokers. (I should say that I redeemed myself righteously with the grilled pizzas topped with Susan's organic shitake, carmelized onions, and fresh mozzerella, which I know some of you will remember.)

But, today I'm thinking about home cooking. My home. And, my home was with my Mom for a good many years. So, I offer you (yes, Pete and Perry will have guessed it three paragraphs ago) Mom's recipe for Stuffed Spam.

Stuffed Spam

1 Can Spam, sliced into quarter-inch slices
1 Box Stove Top Stuffing, prepared according to directions on the box

In a loaf pan, arrange alternate layers of Spam slices and stuffing (think books on a shelf - books titled "Spam" and "Stove Top"). Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve warm (cause cold will just nasty you out).

Serving suggestion: One can of Tab per person helps cut the salt. Vegetables are just too much work.

Love you, Mom. Happy Thanksgiving from your sassy-ass kid.

P.S. Today my brother Pete is spending (yet another) holiday in the hospital. Healing thoughts to an awe-inspiring man whom I'm lucky to call my little brother.

No comments: