Sunday, November 26, 2006

Baby Meets First Pink Elephant



In the category, "You Never Know What's Going to Happen Next," this little encounter last week.

You see, I am a complete illiterate in my current home. I can't read the newspapers. I can't read billboards, posters, shop signs, street signs... you get the idea. So, I never know what's going on at the public square just down the street (or anywhere else, for that matter). And neither do either of my literate family members.

Typically Thai, they don't care much for news, announcements, promotions or planning ahead. Being a resource junkie, this bewilders me. At home, I always had a little pile of brochures, newsletters, ads and post-its (also not available here) of happenings I didn't want to miss. Here things (for us anyway) just seem to happen by accident. Like running into a pink elephant on your after dinner stroll.

It's kind of a Buddhist thing. Keeps you very in the moment.

No comments: