Sunday, October 22, 2006

Welcome to My World



Every day I walk past this sign about four times. It is as big as me, which makes the mosquitoes about as big as Jimmy. The sign is mounted on the motorbike parking lean-to of the Chiang Mai Women's Correctional Institution, our neighbor across the street. Believe me, our little family doesn't need the reminder.

We spend a good bit of every day incinerating mosquitoes with our little re-chargable tennis raquet/mosquito electrocutor. We've nicknamed it "The Zapper." On many occasions I have even caught my Buddhist, I-was-a-monk-for-16-years husband OUTSIDE incinerating mosquitoes in the garden. He regularly yells, "Die" (in English) while doing this.

We will probably all come back in our next life bug-born for our efforts, but with malaria and dengue fever in the city, we are taking our chances. Can't wait to get back to the great Northeast where the mosquitoes die with the first frost, and they can't actually kill you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Pam,
Judy O'neill has given me your blog address. I had a little difficulty but when I accessed it directly from her email - it worked!
Your babe is beautiful and obviously talented. An Art lover AND a mosquitoe connaisseur, he will go far in this world!
I loved reading your impressions of your new world and hope to revisit your blog often. Love & hugs. Josette