Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boiled Eggs on a Stick

If you read my recent post "Pancakes on a Stick," you will certainly still be mulling over the thought of boiled eggs on a stick. As luck would have it, on Sunday Amnat and I ran into a boiled-eggs-on-a-stick lady sitting on the sidewalk not far from the house. Boiled eggs on a stick, like many Thai street foods, are sold by peddlers who carry, push, or drive stuff around. You know they are coming, because they have a honky horn and they honk their way down your street.



I've discovered that if you say, in Thai, that you have a website, people WANT their picture taken. The boiled-eggs-on-a-stick lady hopped up from her little plastic stool to shoulder the load and make a proper presentation. She carries two baskets from a bamboo bow with a charcoal burner in one basket to keep the eggs hot. Yes, hot charcoals walking down the street in 90 degree weather. Unfortunately, a few words spoken with convincing accent sets people to thinking you actually speak their language. She told me an awful lot about the eggs, but I only caught about every seventh word.



The eggs were still warm when she put them in a bag for me, but Amnat wouldn't let me eat them. He's quite fussy about food, as he's had a lot of bad food over the years. When I asked why we couldn't eat them, he just said - salty. I've learned to trust his judgment. Thai people eat from a very long list of unpalatable things. And, strong flavors are what drives Thai cuisine. If he says it's salty, it's SALTY.



From what I could piece together from Amnat and the boiled-eggs-on-a-stick lady, the eggs are boiled, then brined and then skewered and heated over the charcoal fire. Seems like you'd need a beer with them for sure, but there was no ice chest in that second basket.

No comments: